I made these rather lovely maple pecan bites to take to my trail run at Stowe. I knew both my mum and dad like pecans and I thought we’d want something to give us a little boost after running our 10k.
Maple syrup and pecans go so well together but I wasn’t sure if they would be too sweet for my dad who isn’t that keen on overly sweet things.
For these bites I also added a pinch of sea salt for a salted caramel taste and was a bit surprised to find it was the salt that my dad wasn’t keen on, the sweet maple syrup was absolutely fine.
The salt is great addition if you are eating these after a long, hot run but they are just as nice without them if you’d rather not have the salty tang.
Maple pecan bites
Vegan, dairy free.
- 1 cup pecans
- 6 dates soaked in a little water
- 1tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- pinch of sea salt (optional)
- Grind the pecans in a food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs
- Drain the dates and add them to the pecans
- Add maple syrup, vanilla essence and salt (if using)
- Process until they form a gooey ball
- Roll into 12 even size balls.