Cardamon Orange energy balls
Energy balls are perfect to fuel your run, work out or busy day at work. They are little hits of goodness, easily transportable and very easy to digest. I tend to wrap mine individually in cling film and pop them in my running belt to give me an extra boost towards the end of my longer runs.
I’ve been experimenting with flavours and this recipe for cardamon orange energy balls is the first one I made. I love the sweet savoury taste of cardamon and it goes so well with orange flower water. Let me know in the comments what you think!
Cardamom orange energy balls
Vegan, dairy free, gluten free
- 1/2 cup plain cashew nuts (not roasted and salted)
- 6 dates soaked in 1tbsp of orange juice
- 2-3 cardamom pods
- 1.5 tsp orange flower water
- First unpeel the cardamom pods and crush the seeds using a pestle and mortar. How many you use depends on how strong you want the cardamom taste.
- Grind the cashew nuts in a food processor until it resembles breadcrumbs. You don’t want to grind them to a fine powder.
- Add 4 of the dates and the cardamon, pulse the food processor until the dates are incorporated.
- Add the remaining dates and the orange flower water and pulse again. The mixture should start to form a ball. When this happens stop the food processor.
- Form the mixture into 6 balls by rolling a tablespoon of mixture together in your hands.
- The balls should keep for up to a week in an air tight container.